Friday 14 September 2012

Buonissima Banana cake with chopped apricots

This banana cake is so easy to bake and so tasty that it deserves to be called Buonissima.



2-3 ripe bananas
250g granulated sugar
2 medium eggs
200g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 heaped tsbp ground almonds (optional)
2 tbsp rose petal syrup/preserve (optional)
50g melted butter
80g chopped apricots
icing sugar to sprinkle on top

The overripe mushy-smushy bananas are the best for this recipe. You know the feeling, the semi-forgotten bananas in the fruit bowl, looking truly neglected and nobody wants to eat them. Well, these are perfect for any kind of the banana cake.
This cake usually disappears very fast. It is a "gone in 60 seconds" variety which appeals both to kids and adults with a sweet tooth.
Mash the bananas in a deep bowl with sugar, using a fork. You can use a hand blender as well, if you prefer. Add the eggs, cinnamon, almonds, flour, rose petal preserve and melted butter, and mix well. Add chopped apricots and mix.





Preheat the oven to 180C. Pour the cake mix in the spring form and place in the oven. Bake for about an hour. Check if it is ready with a wooden skewer. Serve warm or cold, dusted with the icing sugar. We actually enjoy it when it is just out of the oven, but it is good the next day as well. It doesn't last longer than the next day, so don't know how long it keeps.

9 comments:

  1. Well, sounds really quick and easy. You know what, I have all the ingredients ready here and could make it tonight, but ... I made a cake already yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh all my favourite things, apricots and almonds mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I was just eyeing up the overripe bananas in the fruit bowl a minute ago thinking I needed to make a banana bread this afternoon. I have a great tried and tested recipe but I'd never thought of adding apricots, I think that could really work so I may well give that a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana bread so I assume I'll love this too! Will bookmark and give it a try! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh this sounds fab! I don't like banana cake but I bake 2 every week for the rest of the family. Think this will be a good one for them

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh lots of my favourite things in there, banana, apricot and ground almonds. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious - must try!

    ReplyDelete