Monday 1 October 2012

A tipsy buddy cake (Advocaat cake recipe for Anchor cooking challenge: part 2)

Last Saturday I had my Philips Fresh Cooks party and I wanted to impress my guests. One of my choices was a honey cake, but for the second choice I wanted something that I haven't baked before.

I'm not sure how I came across the blog Jo Blogs Jo Bakes, I must have been googling images for cakes when I came across her beautifully presented Advocaat bundt cake. That was it, I was going to follow her recipe. To read Jo's blog post in full and admire the photos of her gorgeous sweet creation, please follow this link.

I haven't changed any ingredients or quantities, but after mixing the cake batter, I realised that my bundt tin was way too small for it. I decided the ring cake tin would suit well and will look as pretty.
I also added an icing made from the icing sugar and orange juice on top of the cake.




Advocaat Cake – Recipe

Ingredients:

220g butter, melted (I used Anchor butter -G.V)
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
250ml Advocaat
125g plain flour
125g cornflour
2 tsps of baking powder
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
1 tbsp icing sugar for sprinkling

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Grease your bundt tin very thoroughly – I spray mine with oil then sprinkle with flour twice, tapping out excessive flour carefully
3. Whisk your eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds until at least doubled in volume – i.e. very pale and fluffy in texture
4. Pour in the melted butter carefully down the side of the bowl, whisk in thoroughly
5. Pour in the Advocaat, whisk that in gently too
6. Next sieve over the flour, cornflour and baking powder and fold in with a large spatula or spoon (I think it’s worth sieving once or twice before sifting onto the mixture – cornflour likes forming clumps!)
7. Pour into the tin and bake in a preheated 70-80 minutes (check after an hour) – it will be browned and a cake taster will come out dry from the centre of a tree when ready
8. Cool in tin until its cool enough to hold, flip it upside down, loosening gently around the edges with a plastic knife or spatula first if necessary
9. When fully cool, dust with icing sugar or decorate as you wish (royal icing peaks would be gorgeous!)


As this cake uses a decent amount of butter, I am adding this recipe to Anchor cooking challenge (part 2). If you want to read what the Anchor cooking challenge is, please go to my previous post where you will find all the information on how to start collecting Anchor points to swap for this cute butter dish and spoon and many other kitchen goodies.



I have started collecting Anchor points for the cake tin. Have you joined the scheme? What are you collecting the Anchor points for?

P.S. I received the butter dish and the wooden spoon for the photo shoot, but this doesn't mean my opinion is biased. I often buy the Anchor butter for baking.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, well worth a try I need to invest in a cake ring mould ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tempted to make this, cant find advocaat in Indonesia, anything can replaced with? thks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely cake, and I often bake it. I'm not sure what would be the best substitute for it. I looked online for the suggestions and found this answer: eggnog OR Irish cream liqueur. And also that someone made their own version "The resourceful gourmet mixed yolk, brandy, sugar, and other fine ingredients into an egg liqueur composition, which was truly equal to the Advocaat".

      Delete