Thursday 16 May 2013

Not so Classic New York Cheesecake

Cheesecakes: love them or hate them. I remember the day when we had guests for dinner, an Italian couple, friends of my in-laws, I was a young wife then and really eager to impress our guests. So I baked a cheesecake, and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Our Italians though refused to eat it categorically, as the husband had the food poisoning incident from eating the cheesecake on his previous visit to England. Well, it was their loss, I should add, as the cake was lush. I tend to change the ingredients slightly when I bake my version of the New York cheesecake, so I could really call it New Yorkish. This time I have added a new yoghurt from Chobani.
Last Tuesday we had two people doing the maintenance works in the garden. They are both lovely chaps, whom we have known for several years. We invite them when we need to do big jobs in the garden. It was first drizzling, then bucketing on Tuesday afternoon, but they worked in the rain. To keep them warm, I offered them hot drinks and cakes. They said this cake was absolutely delicious and that they would be more than happy to have a cake like this served in a restaurant as a dessert.



Not so classic New York cheesecake
Ingredients:
150g crushed biscuits, Hobnobs and Hovis Digestives
2tbsp sugar
50g Stork
2 packages of Light Philadelphia soft cheese
170g pot of Chobani fat free with raspberry yoghurt
4 eggs
200g caster sugar
3tbsp self-raising flour
1tbsp vanilla paste

I typically use the butter in cakes, but I had a pack of Stork in the fridge (if you ask why, I bought it to enter the competition. Yes, me and my competitions, lol).
Crush the biscuits in a bowl. Add the sugar and melted butter or margarine. Mix the crumbs well. Press onto the bottom of the springform cake tin.
In a deep bowl mix together the soft cheese, yoghurt, vanilla paste, flour, eggs, using the hand blender.
Pour the mix over the crumbs in the tin.
Bake at 180C for good 70 minutes, until the centre is almost set (it will still be wobbly when you take the tin out).
Cool the cake before removing the tin. Be careful or it might crack on the side (mine did, it didn't affect its taste, but slightly spoilt the looks).
It is best eaten the next day after staying in the fridge overnight (or at least 3-4 hours before serving).




For this cake I used Chobani fat free yoghurt with raspberry. This is a new flavour in a Chobani family of yoghurts. I have recently reviewed this tasty range, see my post Chobani yoghurts for more recipe ideas.
The raspberry yoghurt is the same Greek style thick yoghurt, as you would expect from Chobani, layered with a sweet raspberry puree. Delicious on its own, but also lovely as an ingredient for a cake.



Lovely people from Chobani sent me a couple of tubs of new yoghurt to try.
I use the spelling "yoghurt" in this post, though typically I write "yogurt", but I don't want to confuse you if you start googling for Chobani.
And in case you are wondering about the pretty china, this is a Royal Crown Derby coffee set which I bought on ebay. I just couldn't resist, it is so beautiful. Perfect for a sophisticated cup of coffee with a lush slice of cake.





5 comments:

  1. Our first Raspberry Chobani recipe online since launch! And what a deliciously decadent one to start with. Looks fabulous as always Galina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm the first one! Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh Galina, how can you tempt me so?! This looks so darn good. Pinned and Stumbled. Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek - there's a new one up here http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/2013/05/tomato-asparagus-garlic-spaghetti/ if you'd like to join in again :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm Cheesecake has got to be my favourite dessert and this sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete