Saturday 3 May 2014

Lemony salmon hash with spring onions

You might have seen photos of food products and meals with a hashtag #MorrisonsMum (or Dad) appearing on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and were wondering what it was all about. Bloggers have signed in to take part in a challenge run by BritMums and Morrisons in conjunction with a slash in prices which started yesterday. Morrisons have cut the prices on over a thousand of products. They promise these are not temporary reductions, but everyday low prices on things we buy every week.
To find out what  new prices were, bloggers were invited to do a grocery shopping in Morrisons, share their experiences and goodies as well as create recipes with the products they bought.
Now, I would lie if I said that Morrisons is the supermarket where I do my main shopping. We only have a small local Morrisons in town, and I wouldn't be able to buy the things I am used to buy. In fact, as many savvy Mums I am not particularly loyal to any supermarket, and tend to shop around. The nearest supermarket to me is Waitrose, I do a weekly online shop in Tesco, and go to Sainsburys once in a while, but it is pretty far from our home, and there is so much you can carry in a shopping trolley (yes, I am a trolley lady, albeit a trendy one, as I have a Sabichi bag on wheels). Morrisons is at a walking distance, but it is quite small.
Curious to see their new prices, I took my trolley and started exploring the store. I was pleasantly surprised at the fruit and berries' prices, strawberries were half price in comparison to the same size box from Waitrose (but they were Spanish, not British).
I couldn't find any free range or organic meat, and typically I would only buy free range/organic.
Some of the branded products were less expensive, some actually more. I am going to do a separate post on what products I have bought, and which meals I cooked.

Today I am sharing a recipe for Saturday's dinner. My husband is away, and it is just for my boys and me.



Lemony salmon hash with spring onions (serves 3)
Ingredients:
3 medium potatoes
25g butter
1tsbp olive oil
2 spring onions, chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary (optional)
2 salmon steaks
1tbsp plain flour
1tbsp olive oil
1 lemon
sea salt with dried herbs & lemon peel
Cut the potatoes into quarters and put in a pan of boiling salted water. Cook for 15 minutes, then drain. Once cooler, cut in halves.
Melt the butter in a big frying pan with the olive oil, add the potatoes and spring onions. Sprinkle with freshly torn rosemary leaves. Fry until the potatoes are golden on all sides.
Cut the salmon steaks into smaller pieces and dust them with flour. Heat 1tbsp in a different frying pan and fry the fish for about 5 minutes, turning over until cooked through.
Add the salmon to the potatoes and onions. Grate the lemon zest all over the fish and potatoes. Season well. Squeeze 1/3 of lemon over the dish. Cook for another few minutes.
Serve with a lemon wedge. I also added a bit of tsatsiki on a plate.



Now, back to prices: salmon was £4 for two steaks or on offer 3 for £10; potatoes - £1; lemon -25p; spring onions -99p per bunch. I had all the essentials at home, like flour, olive oil, butter, but if you don't have them I have seen a small bottle of olive oil at 99p, a block of butter at 99p, flour at £1.09 for 1.5kg. It will work roughly at £5.50 for the meal (or £1.83 per person) if you count the actual amount of the products use, or even less). I have a rosemary in the garden, so did't have to buy it, and as I mentioned, it is optional.



This is a lovely simple meal, very easy and quick to prepare. Salmon was fresh and delicious.



This is my recipe for #MorrisonsMum challenge. I will keep posting through this weekend, both recipes and our opinions on the products.

Disclosure: I received Morrisons vouchers to buy the products for the weekend for the purposes of reviewing and creating recipe ideas.

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and very easy to make, so I think I'll give it a try :)
    Do you want to follow each other on Bloglovin?

    Lu ❤ www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this recipe. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete