Saturday 21 June 2014

Eiersalat, German egg salad

I got my World Cup days mixed up, and realised in the afternoon that I don't have any recipes ready for the culinary challenge. Drat, what can I make today that would be quick to prepare and use the ingredients I already have, as I didn't fancy crawling out to the shops in the heat. My guys and I went to Cogges manor farm earlier today, and that was enough of the hot weather for me for one day. As last week, I came back home with a box of duck eggs from the ducks at the farm.
Then I remembered a very simple German salad Eiersalat. There are many versions of this egg salad, some have added potatoes, mushrooms and even ham.



Eiersalat
Ingredients:
3 duck eggs, hard-boiled
3 spring onions, finely chopped
a few garlic leaves (optional)
3tbsp thick Greek style yogurt
2tbsp mayonaise
a pinch of paprika
a good squeeze of lemon juice

Chop the hard-boiled eggs and finely chop spring onions and garlic leaves. Mix together in a medium sized bowl. Add the yogurt or soured cream, mayonnaise, paprika and lemon juice, and mix well.



It is a lovely side salad to go with baby new potatoes and green beans. It will also be fab in plain egg sandwiches.



I am growing garlic this year, both in planters and in the strawberry patch. The green leaves are still young now. Can't wait to harvest it later this year.


Chris from Cooking Around the World has challenged the foodies to take part in a culinary-football-themed game this month. Read all about the rules of the game in his linky Bloggers Around the World.


5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if my comment went through so please delete this if it did but it was on delay!!
    Smashed egg sandwiches are my favourite but these seem like a classier version, will deffo be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about classier. That garlic was quite potent, so perhaps not a date night material, lol

      Delete
  2. Oh, somehow I seem to have missed your comment yesterday. Maybe it was, because I had been invited for some great food and football watching by some new friends. Your Eiersalat sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good evening to me, great food and friends.

      Delete
  3. ooh now this looks like a lovely salad.

    ReplyDelete