Friday 6 February 2015

Blood orange and limoncello cake

I haven't done much blogging this week, feeling restless and a bit depressed. My Mum is unwell, and with us being so far apart, there is nothing I can do to help her. I keep cooking and taking photos as usual, but once I sit in front of my laptop, I feel like brain-dead. Call it an apathy or a loss of mojo...
Anyway, these few weeks we have been enjoying the blood oranges. The season of blood oranges is so short, but when they are here, I try to add them to almost anything, sweet or savoury.
Last week I baked a Limoncello cake with blood oranges, and it was a delicious moist cake, which has disappeared pretty fast.


Blood orange & Limoncello cake
Ingredients:
4 medium eggs
200g caster sugar
140ml Limoncello
zest of 2 and juice of 1 blood orange
130g self-raising flour
130g cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
30g ground almonds
190g butter, melted
for the icing:
icing sugar mixed with juice of blood orange (at least 4 heaped tbsp of icing sugar)

bundt cake


In a big bowl beat the eggs with the caster sugar, add limoncello, grated blood orange zest and juice, flour, cornflour, baking powder and ground almonds, mix well. Add the melted butter and mix again. The cake batter is quite runny in consistency.
Butter the cake ring tin or use the cake release spray, pour in the cake mixture. Place the cake tin in the oven preheated to 180C. Bake for about 45-50 minutes. Check if it's ready with a wooden skewer.
In a small bowl mix the icing sugar with the orange juice, until you get the runny consistency. Pour over the cake.



If you don't have blood oranges, swap them for standard oranges or lemons. The only place that I can get blood oranges at the moment is Abel and Cole. Order a kilo at £2.75 or 5kg for £13 plus delivery at £1.25. The quality of their blood oranges is excellent. I just wish there was a place nearby where I can buy them whenever I fancy freshly squeezed blood orange juice. They are just so above the standard oranges in taste and colour.


5 comments:

  1. A good bake is good for the soul if you're feeling low. The cake looks lovely. I hope you and your mum feel better xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom! Agree with baking being therapeutical

      Delete
  2. Sending you huge hugs - it's horrible being far away when your loved ones are ill. The cake looks delicious - I must look out for some blood oranges, they're delicious and I haven't had any yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely looking cake. I must get some lemoncello and look out for blood oranges. Hope your mum feels better soon, its so hard when you are not near

    ReplyDelete