Friday 27 February 2015

Herb focaccia

"...There was something about the smell of fresh-baked bread that always reminded him of home and his mother's kitchen. She had loved to bake bread. Her love of cooking was legendary, but she said there was something healing about baking bread..." (No distance too far, Lauraine Snelling)

Italian bread


Nothing can compare to an aroma of a baking bread. I don't often bake bread these days, well, I used to bake it regularly when my bread machine was in a good working order, but since someone has "helpfully" binned or recycled a mixing paddle, I have never ordered another one, and the machine is now residing in the attic. Yet it is really not so difficult to make bread from scratch without a bread machine. Baking Mad who've teamed up with Allinson flour and launched a Dough Tree campaign, have asked me if I'd like to attempt one of their great bread recipes.

Of course, I said Yes. I do love a good culinary challenge, To inspire me and put in a bread-making mood, they sent me a lovely hamper including Allinson flour, a loaf tin, a loaf bag and more.
For my challenge I have chosen a recipe for a Herb Focaccia.



Focaccia is an Italian bread, and there are many variations on a classic recipe.
I have followed the recipe instructions as posted on Baking Mad (see the link above).

Soon after I added a sachet of yeast to the mix of strong white flour, sugar, salt, olive oil and warm water, the distinct aroma started to spread through the kitchen. It is such a tasty smell.
I kneaded for 10 minutes, listening to Classic FM on the radio.
It has risen in size beautifully, and was elastic to the touch.

Dough and herbs


Chop the herbs, add a bit more of a good Italian olive oil, bake for half an hour, and voilĂ  you have a fabulous focaccia.

Focaccia uncooked and baked


Tear it into chunks or cut into neat slices. It is very tasty hot, and it's good the next day cold. My little man and I had a slice each, when it was still hot, before dinner.
It was delicious, crusty on the outside and soft inside.


Disclosure: I received a selection of products for the purposes of trying a recipe and blogging about it. All opinions are mine.




9 comments:

  1. I think I will try this recipe this weekend. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this looks gorgeous. You really can't beat the smell of freshly baked bread wafting around the house. I haven't made any for a while though so you've inspired me to bake some this afternoon - yum !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is I love bread too much and can it eat a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, that looks so tasty, I'm going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne, the recipe is very easy and straight-forward. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks much easier than I thought - will give it a go - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum looks delicious and not as hard as I thought!

    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks gorgeous. I will definitely have to give this a try, one day I will master bread

    ReplyDelete