Monday 2 February 2015

Spinach, wild mushroom and cheese roulade

Last year I was selected to be one of the ShortcutEggsperts with British Lion Eggs, and was delighted to continue being part of the panel for this year. The first culinary challenge for the year was to create a healthy recipe. What comes to mind when you say healthy? low calorie, fresh produce and spinach. As a child, I absolutely hated spinach. In my Soviet childhood it came in bricks of frozen green horror, and tasted vile. No amount of convincing it was good for me would persuade me. I associated it with school meals and people who were on a special diet. That dislike of spinach lasted until I tried fresh baby leaf spinach. Suddenly it was tasty and wonderful. These days I am happy to eat it in salads, lasagne and all kinds of meals, both fresh and cooked. And it is indeed very good for you. Those old grannies of my childhood knew what they were talking about.



Spinach, wild mushroom and cheese roulade
Ingredients:
100g wild mushrooms
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
a squeeze of lemon juice
100g spinach
2 eggs, separated
2 egg whites
80g lighter soft cheese
60g self-raising flour
2tbsp soured cream
80g hard cheese, grated, like a vegetarian Manchego
170g lighert soft cheese

Clean the mushrooms well and slice or break into smaller pieces. Fry them in the olive oil for 5 minutes, with the chopped flat leaf parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with a bit of sea salt.
Remove the mushrooms into a bowl. There will be some oil left in the frying pan.
Add the spinach, and let it wilt, stirring for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool before mixing with two egg yolks, flour, grated hard cheese and 80g of soft cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk four egg whites with an electric whisk. Once the egg whites get stiff, fold them into the spinach-cheese mix with 2tbsp of soured cream.
Place a piece of foil into a brownie tin and spray with a bit of spray oil for easier removal after the baking. Pour the eggy mix inside the tin.
Bake for 15 minutes at 180C.
Cool slightly before peeling off the foil.


Mix the remaining soft cheese with the mushrooms and spread the mix over the baked omelette. Roll up carefully. Serve chilled, sliced.
It is a tasty vegetarian dish.


I buy the wild mushrooms from Tesco throughout the year, you get different varieties, depending on the time of the year. Some mushrooms are picked in Scotland, some come from further afield, like Poland, Bulgaria or Lithuania. My favourite variety is chanterelles. I think Tesco is the only supermarket which consistently offers wild mushrooms all year round. At £1.50 for 100g it's a pretty good bargain as well.
If you cannot find wild mushrooms, chestnut mushrooms will work as well.


Disclosure: I received vouchers to buy products and create a healthy recipe with eggs.



For more ideas and recipes using eggs, visit Egg Recipes. And if you are a fan of TOWIE or just enjoy the celeb news, Lucy Mecklenburgh is also a British Lion eggs brand ambassador.
I confess, I never watched TOWIE, but Lucy's recipes which she created as an ambassador, look might good. See all her recipes at Lucy Meck's healthy meals page. I particularly like the sound of spinach, feta and pine nuts omelette.


5 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I made a similar recipe a couple of years back and this has reminded me how good it was and so surprisingly easy too. I must make it again and add the mushrooms like you've done. Gorgeous work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds lovely i als like how its presented too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used to be a fan of spinach but recently started to like it. I will have to make this for my husband, he doesn't eat a lot of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this, it looks gorgeous. I was not a fan of frozen green blocks of spinach either, popeye or not!

    ReplyDelete