Saturday 22 August 2015

Blackberry and apple pie



It's the season to be blackberry-picking, yay! My favourite kind of foraging. We are so lucky to have fileds nearby which flood, and thankfully they are left as they are, without greedy builders ruining the quiet peaceful location. There are lots of brambles and wild roses, and even more of nettles. I have seen families with big baskets picking juicy blackberries. It is great fun. last week Eddie and I picked a small container of berries, just enough to eat and bake a blackberry and apple pie.



Blackberry and apple pie
Ingredients:
1 block of sweet pastry
80g butter
2 apples, peeled and sliced
300g blackberries
100g caster sugar
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp cloves
3tbsp cornflour

If you are a GBBO worshiper and find the idea of using ready-made pastry an abomination, look elsewhere. If you read my blog regularly, you know that I often use it, and don't feel ashamed to say it out loud.
So, take the block of ready-made sweet pastry and unroll it. Spread it over the pie dish and cut off the extra bits, and add some patches on the sides to make borders all round. Prick the pastry with a fork.
Prebake at 180c for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, peel and slice the apples and cook in a big pan with butter and spices. Add the berries and cook stirring for about 10 minutes. At which point the pie mix will be overflowing with juices. Add the cornflour and keep stirring for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.



Spoon the pie mix in the pre-cooked pastry shell. If you have some pastry left over, cut out strips and decorate the pie.
Cook for about 15-20 minutes at 180C.
Serve hot with the ice cream or cream. Enjoy!
I was very surprised to see my older son eating it in the kitchen, as in the past he didn't show any interest in fruity-berry pies.
It was very tasty.



I love blackberries, and am very happy to join in The Great British Blackberry Round-Up hosted by Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen and Karen from Lavender and Lovage, two of my favourite foodie bloggers.


5 comments:

  1. oh my dear! Thispie looks like it was sent from heaven. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm..looks so delicious!
    with this wonderful post, i remember my grand mothers delicious pie!
    Wish you a fab sunday!
    I invite you to discover my new blog:
    http://helenamybeauty.over-blog.com/
    You re very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple and blackberry is without doubt my favourite pie combo. Yours looks divine. I was out running last weekend and stopped at a blackberry bush and devoured them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our blackberries are not ripe yet sadly, your pie looks lush

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful rich, dark pie of fruitfulness! Thank you so much for joining us for The Great British Blackberry Recipe Round Up.

    ReplyDelete