Sunday 6 September 2015

Coconut orange cupcakes



It doesn't take much to make a little boy happy. Buy him a new Lego Ninjago sticker album, and he's ecstatic. Eddie and I were returning home after a grocery shopping, when we passed by a tile shop which was fundraising for Macmillan's with a sale of cupcakes and cakes. We stopped, and Eddie has chosen a big cupcake, covered with a mini-mountain of icing. Plus I bought a slice of carrot cake for my older son. We came home, and I told Eddie he could have his cupcake after he finished his lunch. We didn't realise that Sash has discovered the bag with desserts and has eaten both pieces quietly. Eddie was mighty disappointed. I promised to bake some cupcakes for him and Sash. Having rummaged through the fridge and pantry, I looked at what needs using. I had an orange in the fruit bowl, some fresh coconut chunks and coconut cream in the fridge. Hence I baked the coconut orange cupcakes.


Coconut orange cupcakes
Ingredients:
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 orange
2tbsp freshly grated coconut (optional, or swap for desiccated coconut)
3 medium eggs
150g caster sugar
50ml coconut cream
175g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
160g butter, melted

icing: 4tsp coconut cream with 3tsp coconut milk powder and icing sugar
sugar sprinkles

Zest an orange, and mix the zest with the juice of half an orange and grated coconut chunks. Beat in 3 medium eggs, add the sugar, coconut cream (I used the more liquid consistency part in the cake batter, and the creamier part for the icing), flour, baking powder and melted butter, mix well. Ladle the cake batter into paper muffin cases inserted in a muffin/cupcake baking tray. Place the tray in the oven preheated to 180C.
Bake for 20+ minutes. Check with a wooden toothpick if they are ready.
Let them cool completely before decorating.
I have mixed the creamy part of coconut cream (about 4tsp) with coconut milk powder and enough icing sugar to make a thick icing. Spread over the cupcakes with a spoon and decorate with sugar sprinkles.





I used a few items that have been in the kitchen for a while, like Hallowe'en sprinkles which I received last year for some culinary challenge, and also the coconut milk powder which I bought quite a while ago. Hence I'm adding my recipe to Cheryl's Kitchen Clearout linky.


4 comments:

  1. they sound divine... I adore coconut in most things so i'm probably biased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom! I'm very partial to coconut as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I could just eat one of those now ! You've reminded me that my sprinkles need dejunking too - time to make another fridge cake and let the kids decorate it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you probably had the same Halloween hamper last year. :) Thankfully the sprinkles can be kept for ages.

      Delete