Friday 9 October 2015

Orange polenta cake



We baked a batch of Star Wars cupcakes yesterday with Eddie, but today I've been baking an orange polenta cake. I have made it in the past quite often, but haven't done any recently. I have slightly changed my old recipe for orange polenta cake, as I wanted to see if it works with oil.


Orange polenta cake
Ingredients:
2 oranges, zest and juice
4 medium eggs
200g caster sugar
100g butter, melted
80ml lemon-flavoured olive oil
90g polenta (I use Polenta Valsugana)
100g self-raising flour
40g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
for the icing:
icing sugar mixed with juice of 1/2 orange

Beat the eggs with orange zest and caster sugar. Add the melted butter and lemon-flavoured olive oil, polenta and flour, ground almonds and baking powder. Add the juice of 1 and a half oranges. Mix well. The cake batter should be smooth and quite runny.
Pour the cake batter in the oiled spring cake tin, and put in the oven preheated to 180C. Bake for about 50+ minutes. Check if it's ready with a wooden toothpick.
Once cooled, decorate with the icing made from the mix of icing sugar and orange juice.



I used Nudo Olive Oil Stone Ground with Real Lemons, which is a beautiful zesty oil. I have recently posted a recipe for Leek and potato soup with lemon oil infused croutons where I used the same oil. As you can see, it's a versatile ingredient, which works equally well in sweet and savoury recipes.




5 comments:

  1. Mmmm..looks realy delicious!
    Thank you for the recipe.
    Great post!
    You re very welcome to visit my blog:
    http://helenamybeauty.over-blog.com/
    Wish you a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good. I love the icing too, such a glorious glaze!... I have made a similar polenta cake with olive oil and it really does have the most wonderfully interesting flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dom! I actually read on Nigella's site just the other day that she doesn't advise swapping butter for oil, so I've been cautious and did half and half, but I think I could have used just oil without butter. The flavour is great

      Delete
  3. That sounds gorgeous Galina. I do like a good polenta cake, but I don't think I've ever made an orange one before. I've made and eaten them with olive oil and with butter and enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall have to try polenta one day. This looks lovely

    ReplyDelete