Tuesday 1 December 2015

#GivingTuesday

My grandma Ulya was almost illiterate. Daughter of the poor peasants, she was orphaned at a very early age. She went to live with the distant relatives, who resented the fact that they had to feed an extra mouth, so at the grand old age of 4 little Ulya had to earn her crust by working on the farm. Later she did go to school, but didn't study beyond 4 years of schooling.
My great grandmother (on Mum's side) was more lucky. She was also of the peasants' stock, but as a young teenager she got a job as a kitchen help, and later became a cook in the baron's household. She loved to read, and all her life was interested in books and literature. She passed on her passion of books on to her daughter and granddaughter (my Mum) who in their turn brought me up as a great book lover.
I believe an ability to read is an essential part of being a human.
Tuesdays are days when I volunteer at school. I help young kids to read. I enjoy our one-to-one sessions. Some children are fluent, some are only just starting to read.

Today, on Tuesday December 1, 2015 Grammarly is participating in #GivingTuesday. This day is dedicated to celebrating and encouraging giving around the world.
Grammarly has invited me to join the #GivingTuesday movement by posting the infographic below, to help raise awareness of a truly global problem - illiteracy.
In memory of my grandma and all people like her who didn't or don't have an opportunity to study, I have posted this infographic on my blog.
For my support, Grammarly will donate $10 in my name to one of three literacy-promoting charities of my choice. I have chosen First Book.


Global Literacy Infographic

No comments:

Post a Comment