Monday 21 December 2015

Irish cream brownies


My younger son and I invited his friend and Mum to come over for a play date. When these two get together, they turn into tornadoes, loud and totally out of control. But they are having great fun. I wanted to bake something festive and chocolatey. I have recently won a lovely prize from Feeney's Irish Cream on Twitter. When the prize arrived, not only it included a bottle of Irish Cream, there were two mini-bottles and two splendid stylish glasses.


I wanted to add a touch of luxury to my brownies, so I opened a bottle of Irish cream. It smells and tastes just wonderful. Creamy, smooth and delicious, a great festive tipple.

Irish Cream brownies
Ingredients:
125g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
15g cocoa powder (not cocoa drink, just pure cocoa)
100g golden caster sugar
2 eggs
50ml Irish Cream
2 heaped tbsp hazelnut chocolate spread (I used Jim Jams)
70g Stork or butter, melted
1/2 white chocolate bar (I used Lindt)
a handful of green Jelly Bellies and dried cranberries for decorating (optional)

Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the sugar and beat in the eggs. Add the Irish cream, hazelnut chocolate spread and mix. Melt the Stork and add to the brownie batter, mix well.
I typically use butter in baking, but I recently saw a promotional offer in Sainsbury's, where a free brownie tin was sold with two tubs of Stork. I gave away one of the tubs to a friend who uses it. But the 2nd tub has been sitting in the fridge, looking lonely. I'll have to think of more ways of using it.
Oil the brownie tin, pour in the gooey brownie batter and lick the spatula (that's a must!).
Place the tin in the oven preheated to 180C. bake for 25 minutes or slightly less. Keep an eye on your brownie so that it doesn't burn.


Take the tin out. Melt the white chocolate and spread over your still warm brownie. Decorate with Jelly bellies and dried cranberries. Or for a healthier version skip the jelly bellies and add pistachios.


Cut into 9 fat squares or smaller rectangles. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee. Or even a tipple.


I used Jim Jams Hazelnut Chocolate spread in this recipe. This tasty spread was one of the products in the latest Degustabox. If you cannot find this sugar-free spread, use Nutella or any other hazelnut chocolate spread, but perhaps add less sugar to your recipe.


As I used the remains of the hazelnut chocolate spread, I'm adding my post to #KitchenClearout linky at Madhouse Family Reviews.


2 comments:

  1. Oooh these look and sound totally divine. I may have to try these to use up the leftover Irish cream after Christmas. Not sure there will be any though ! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! You don't need much of the Irish cream, just to flavour it.

      Delete