Friday 2 September 2016

August Degustabox

The last week of the month means we're in for a treat, as a new Degustabox is on its way.
We are always looking forward to our Degustabox delivery, which arrives every month and is full of foodie surprises. This monthly food and drink subscription box is an excellent way to discover products which have only just appeared in the shops or those which might have been around for while, but you haven't had a chance to try them yet.
Thanks to Degustabox, I have found new favourites to add to our shopping list, including some products which I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.
Each time the box arrives, it's a total surprise, as you don't know what you might find there. You get a good selection of foods and drinks.
If you haven't tried Degustabox subscription box yet and would like to have a go, I have a whopping £7 off discount from your first box (and you can unsubscribe any time) - just use a code BLDEG15 when you place an order.
What did we receive in an August box? Let's have a peek:

food box


My guys love popcorn, so Willy Chase's Fit Corn was the first product we have tried. There are four flavours in the range, we have tasted a Salted Honey variety, and it disappeared very fast. We love the combination of sweet and salty, and this combination of sweet fragrant honey with sea salt was a real winner.



NutriPot Aromatic Thai Noodles is high in protein to keep you fuller longer.
Pros: There are no artificial colours, preservatives, added sugar or MSG. Very easy to use - just add the hot boiling water, and it's ready in 3 minutes. It;s a good source if fibre, low in saturated fats and soya is from non-GM source.
Cons: I didn't like the flavour and texture. I think they could still work on it, as the noodles were soggy while the dried bits were still too chewy and not re-hydrated enough.
I'm also not a big fan of added vitamins to any food, but as a lot of young people survive on pot noodles and don't eat any live vitamins, then I suppose it is an extra bonus.



NutriPot Moroccan Couscous is a convenient meal in a pot, very handy to take to work as a lunch option. You just need to add the boiling hot water, wait for a few minutes and fluff it with a fork.



I used this couscous as a stuffing for sweet peppers. Slice the peppers in half, slightly oil on both sides, and stuff with the couscous mixed with a handful of sultanas and 1tbsp of dried barberries. Cook in the oven at 180C for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle a bit of grated Cheddar on top in the last couple of minutes of cooking.



I have seen little pouches of Oloves in the shops, but haven't tried them before. Juicy Oloves are seasoned with chilli, garlic and oregano. They are low in calories (50kcal per pouch), contain no stones. A small sized pouch will make a tasty snack for any olive lover.

olives


Capsicana Chilli & Coconut Brazilian Cook Sauce is made with tomato paste, coconut milk, white wine vinegar, ginger puree, onion puree, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, spices - more pepper like black pepper and frutescens chilli etc. It says "hot", and oh my, it certainly delivers.



I've just eaten a bit of chicken cooked in this sauce, and my lips and mouth still burn. If you are a fire-eater, you'll enjoy this flavourful sauce. For wimps like me, it's way too hot.

Tabasco Sweet & Sticky Barbecue Sauce & Marinade is a mild BBQ sauce, enhanced by the rich and smoky flavours of Tabasco Chipotle Sauce. We always have a bottle or two of the original Tabasco, which I like to add to tomato juice, and which usually lasts me for ages. The new addition to the range is not as hot, and makes a tasty marinade for meat.



I used it to cook chicken thighs - about 2tbsp mixed with 1tbsp lime juice, poured over chicken, which I roasted in the oven at 180C for about half an hour.



We are fans of Dorset Cereals, and I buy cereals from their wide range quite often. Their impressive range has been expanded recently with an addition of Dorset Cereals Bircher Muesli. Originally from Switzerland, this type of muesli is made by soaking oats overnight in juice or yogurt. Dorset Cereals have simplified the method, using finely milled oats and dried fruit, which could be ready in just half an hour.
I am yet to try this muesli, as I recently bought a different brand of Bircher muesli and wasn't impressed.
I guess I'm not a bircher muesli type. Most likely I will use the oats as an ingredient for baking muffins or biscuits.



Geeta's Curry Pastes are created according to Geeta's own recipes. These are special blends of exotic spices, which are very easy to use. These handy pouches help you create a meal with a minimum of hassle, yet a lot of flavour.



I have cooked Tikka Masala with coconut milk and tinned tomatoes (Rogan Josh will have to wait until my husband comes back from his trip). It was a flavourful curry, not too hot.



Geeta's Premium Mango Chutney brings you the authentic flavours of India. Perfect as a condiment to a roast meat, it also helps you create the most scrumptious cheese sandwich - try it with a ripe brie, pure bliss. Or add a generous spoonful to a jacket potato.



Rakusen's Snackers - Plain and Gluten Free are less than 1% fat and contain only 7 calories per cracker. Lovely with cheese, they could also be enjoyed on their own. I remember when I was pregnant, I used to survive on plain crackers similar to these ones, to stave off the so called morning sickness.
They could also be eaten with all kinds of dips, like hummus or guacamole.



Moving onto drinks -
Mahou Cinco Estrellas is a premium Spanish lager, which boasts 126 years of history. My husband enjoyed it for dinner. This lager is produced, using the finest varieties of hops and yeast, and is known for its golden colour and distinct mild taste.



Get More Vitamin Drink is a refreshing fizzy drink. It is made with spring water, natural flavours and no added sugar. There are 6 varieties in the range. A very pleasant drink.



Fentiman's Sparkling Lime and Jasmine is a refreshing fizzy drink. My husband enjoyed it, I had a sip to taste this new flavour, but this is not my favourite Fentiman's drink. This premium light floral drink will  make a lovely alternative to an alcoholic drink, and will look sophisticated in a tall glass with ice.



Clipper Tea is one of the brands I buy regularly. I have quite a stash of different kinds of green tea from Clipper, as I try to drink at least one cup of green tea every day. I'm not overly keen on plain green tea, thankfully Clipper has a selection of flavoured green teas to choose from. Clipper Green Tea with Lime & Ginger makes a refreshing brew, with a mild gingery taste.



Follow Degustabox on Twitter -  @degustaboxUK  or Instagram @degustabox_uk

Disclosure: I received the latest Degustabox for the purposes of testing and reviewing. All opinions are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment