Wednesday 16 November 2016

Marmalade cookies



When my older son arrives home from school, he makes a bee-line for the kitchen, looking for something to eat. He loves cookies the best, and I often bake them as an afternoon treat for my boys.
As Eddie's off this week, being poorly, I haven't been out for the last few days. I had a good rummage in the kitchen today, thinking what should I bake today.
I've been putting away the jars of quince jam and mincemeat, when I discovered I still have a set of boozy marmalade I bought last year before Christmas in what-is-now-extinct Cargo (I still feel sad about its demise, I bought quite a few pieces of furniture there in the past, a lot of kitchen bits and bobs as well as jelly beans and preserves).
I used the remains of a bag of oats, and some sultanas (left over from the recent mincemeat making), so it was very much throw it all together kind of recipe. The resulting cookies are soft, crumbly and tasty.

Marmalade cookies (makes 20+ cookies)
Ingredients:
90g caster sugar
90g margarine (e.g. Flora light)
1 egg
1 small jar of marmalade (42g)
50g oats
200g self-raising flour
30g sultanas
juice of 1/2 orange and enough icing sugar to make a runny icing


Preheat the oven to 180C. Put the foil or greaseproof paper on two baking trays.
Beat together sugar and margarine, add the egg and mix until smooth. Add the marmalade, oats and the flour, mix together. Finally add the sultanas, mix until you have a soft dough.
Divide into walnut-sized pieces, roll into balls, then flatten them and place on the trays. Using a fork, make a slight indentation on top of each cookie.
Bake for 15+ minutes until lightly golden. Cool on the wire rack a bit before drizzling icing on top of each cookie. Make a simple icing by mixing orange juice with the icing sugar until you get a runny icing.


In this recipe I used two types of sugar - caster and icing, both Tate & Lyle brand. I probably use the caster sugar the most when baking cakes and cookies. It is light bodied and delicate in taste, and works well in all kinds of bakes.



Adding this recipe to #KitchenClearout linky run by Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews, since I used quite a few bits and bobs that needed using.


1 comment:

  1. All things I have in my cupboards that need using up - you're a genius ! :)

    ReplyDelete