Saturday 15 July 2017

Banana yogurt cupcakes with chocolate chunks

easy cupcakes, what to do with overripe bananas

Honestly, sometimes I'm exasperated with my family's eating habits. My boys, all three of them, are fussy eaters. Both kids refused to even try the boiled fruit cake I baked the other day.
I knew that Sash would not eat bakes with visible fruit inside, though he would eat a carrot cake with sultanas. Eddie is another fusspot. Thankfully, I had a couple of friends over yesterday, and they enjoyed my cake with a cup of coffee.
Sasha was looking quite forlong, venturing in the kitchen and opening the cake tins, hoping that something would materialise to his taste. I couldn't have my boy feeling sad, so decided to bake a batch of cupcakes to cheer him up.

I had a rummage around the kitchen, what did I have at hand? One over-ripe banana, remains of ground almonds, sugar, flour, a sample bag of oats, yogurt, margarine and chocolate chunks. Perfect.


I'm not sure if technically what I cooked are called cupcakes. They are more of sweet muffins, as there is nothing on the top, but then for me personally the line between the two is blurred.

Banana yogurt cupcakes with chocolate chunks (makes 9)
Ingredients:
1 banana, very ripe
100g caster sugar
100g margarine
2 medium eggs
25g ground almonds
40g porridge oats
120g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
100g plain yogurt (Greek style)
50g chocolate chunks

In a medium sized mixing bowl mas up a banana with a fork. Add the sugar and margarine and cream them together. Beat in the eggs. Add the almonds and oats, sift in the flour and baking powder, add the yogurt and mix well. Finally add the chocolate chunks and mix again.
Spoon the cake batter into 9 paper muffin cases inserted into a muffin tray.
Place the tray in the oven preheated to 180C. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check if they are ready with a wooden toothpick, if it comes clean, the cupcakes are ready.
Cool them on a wire rack. Eat warm or cold.

what to do with overripe bananas


Sasha could hardly wait, and started "working" on the cupcakes, while they were still pretty hot.

what to do with over-ripe bananas


I had a little bite, and these cupcakes are lovely, fluffy and flavourful.

what to do with overripe bananas

As I used some of the ends of packets in this recipe, adding this post to #KitchenClearout linky run by Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews.


And as there are chocolate chunks used in this recipe, I'm joining in #WeShouldCocoa linky run by Choclette at Tin and Thyme.


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, chocolate and banana, what a great combination, and they do look wonderfully fluffy. I never really know the difference between cupcakes and muffins either - and what about fairy cakes ?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All gone today, Sash ate most of them. Teenagers, eh?! Fairy cakes are cupcakes, isn't it a British name for cupcakes?

      Delete
  2. I don't think those would last long in my house...They look and sound so good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! They didn't last long indeed. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks so delicious! Great flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish someone would knock some of these up for me when I'm feeling forlorn. Muffin or cupcake is a tricky one. For me cupcakes have to have icing on and without it, I'd probably call them buns or just cakes. Thanks for sharing with We Should Cocoa.

    ReplyDelete