Sunday 3 September 2017

Red velvet almond biscotti

cake mix recipes

It felt like an Indian summer yesterday, it was sunny and warm, almost hot, a perfect September day. Our apple trees in the garden are groaning under the weight of fruit. I still have some pre-blanched apples in the freezer left from last year.
And as many gardens in the neighbourhood have their own apple trees, nobody wants free apples. Such a shame.
Today we woke up to an incessant drizzle and grey skies, such a difference with yesterday's mild weather. Today I feel like wrapping myself in a fleece blanket and having lots of hot drinks.

I was expecting friends for a late morning coffee, and realised that we've run out of all homebaked cookies and cakes. I rummaged in the kitchen shelves and found a box red velvet cake mix.
I didn't fancy baking a cake, but remembered seeing photos of red velvet biscotti on Pinterest.

Technically these are not proper Italian biscotti. I don't think I've ever seen red velvet biscotti anywhere in Italy.
This recipe, in many variations, appears mostly on American sites and blogs. But these biscotti are pretty good with a cup of coffee or tea. They are also very easy to make, and don't take much time either.

Red velvet biscotti
Ingredients:
1 pack of red velvet cake mix
2 medium eggs
125g butter, melted
125+g plain flour
50g almonds, chopped

In  a big mixing bowl mix together contents of 1 pack of red velvet cake mix and 2 medium eggs. Add melted butter, flour and chopped almonds (bigger pieces not crumbs).
Divide the cake dough into 2 parts.
Shape the cake dough into 2 flattened loafs on the baking sheet.
Place it in the oven preheated to 180C. Bake for 20 minutes.



Take the tray out and carefully transfer each baked rectangle on the cutting board.
Slice into separate biscotti with a bread knife. The dough inside is still quite uncooked and soft.


Place all the biscotti back on to the baking sheet, and back in the oven for another 10 minutes.


They are crispy and crunchy, and lovely to dip into coffee.
Typically I cannot stand dunking biscuits into tea or coffee. Biscotti is the only type of biscuit I would ever dunk.
Are you a biscuit dunker?


2 comments:

  1. These look lovely, a great idea. I don't dunk either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

      Delete