Saturday 19 May 2018

Photo diary: week 20, project 365

If you were expecting another Gregg's sausage roll weekly photo, sorry to disappoint you. Eddie said he wanted to change, and asked to go to Costa instead. Well, that is almost a sacrilege!
Instead of a much loved sausage roll, he has chosen a donut-shaped bake sweet thingy made with rice krispies.


On Monday the sky was criss-crossed everywhere I walked. Must have been a busy flying day for the RAF base.


We have a small pondette in the garden, which is an old feature, completely overgrown. We have covered most of it when children were little, and now it does need to be re-dug and probably lined anew, but don't think it's going to happen any time soon. We have pond irises growing there every year. I love the pattern of fresh green leaves.


We have quite a bit of wild life in the garden, they start arriving back home by the evening. This one looked a bit dyspeptic.


The fig tree has beautiful leaves.


Yesterday's bake - Coconut and chocolate loaf cake. I used a box of Dr Oetker coconut chocolate babka, which I bought in the Polish shop. It wasn't bad, but not very chocolatey.


I had no plans to watch the Royal Wedding. I was hoping that most people would be glued to their TVs, so we timed going out into town just around 12pm. To my surprise, a lot of people had the same "bright" idea. We went to the Food festival in town, and it was packed full.
I only bought a few little things, like beautiful tiger-striped tomatoes, a pack of dried Ancho chilli peppers and a few slices of cake for the boys.
Eddie has chosen a horrid-looking psychedelic Disco cake. I do hope he doesn't have indigestion, as I don't trust all these food colourings.
He was pretty happy with it, though he did mentioned the story of his friend J who has eaten a green and blue cupcake at the school fair and then had green poo. This memorable story resurfaces every time we see cakes like that.


16 comments:

  1. Eesh! Shame on Eddie going to Costa. hehehe
    It looks like a fab week....I do like the look of the psychedelic Disco cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! We'll see if he is going to change his mind next weekend. Yesterday we were at the food festival, today went to the movies, so no Gregg's this weekend at all.

      Delete
  2. The cake you baked looks delicious. When my eldest was little, we got a call from nursery conceded because his poo was blue - he'd eaten a lot of the dark blue icing on my dad's birthday cake the previous day! Will Eddie be back to Greggs and sausage rolls next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I think all these lurid food colourings don't get digested and just go through.

      Delete
  3. The irises are a lovely green. I keep thinking about having a small pond in the garden, but the only spot I have for it is under trees and I don't think that's a good idea from what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica! Our pond is not directly under the trees, but not far from a very tall conifer.

      Delete
  4. LOL I remember going to a St Patrick's Day party in a pub many years ago, where everything was green - including the beer. I forgot about this the next day and wondered why I had bright green poo - I was quite worried actually until I remembered the green beer ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, that's what's called rocking St Patrick's celebrations, when everything is green, what goes in and out. :)

      Delete
  5. no sausage roll???? I can't cope lol. Do tell me, which RAF base is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Chipping Norton, Suzanne. They fly so low over our town, you feel like you can catch the plane by the tail.

      Delete
  6. so living near an air base has some advantages.
    yes we have used gel colours ib=n cakes before and ended up with coloured poo.
    What a shame the market was busy. I caught bits of the wedding as we were working around as all the patients had it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine, I think the cooking colours have to be used very sparingly. I skipped most of the wedding, saw the photos in the newspapers the next day.

      Delete
  7. What no Greggs!!! Do love that criss crossed sky #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! See the new installment for the sausage roll weekly. :)

      Delete
  8. Love the bright cake poo story! Zach recently ate a load of broccoli and it had the same effect :) #project365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know broccoli has the same effect. :)

      Delete