Tuesday 15 May 2018

Porcini mushroom soup

vegetarian meals


I enjoy browsing in the local Polish deli. So many unknown brands and products. Some are pretty obvious and self-explanatory (you don't need to know Polish to understand), some are more tricky to guess. It's a bit of a pot luck, I'd say. I found quite a few favourites, which I buy often, but there are also a few things that I regret buying.
Dried porcini mushrooms are good quality, and make an excellent base for a soup. On one of my recent visits I have spotted bags of frozen porcini mushrooms, and just had to try it.



Lesne Skarby Borowiki Cale (Boletus Edulis) can be found in the freezer section. This is a 300g bag of whole mushrooms.
There were three big mushrooms inside.



Borowiki is Polish for cep or porcini.

There is a recipe suggestion on the back of the bag (in Polish and English) for a creamy porcini mushroom soup, cooked with chicken broth and double/heavy cream.

I wanted to cook something lighter and also vegetarian.

Porcini mushroom soup
Ingredients:
1 sweet onion
2tbsp olive oil
1/2 big (or 1 small) carrot, finely chopped
300g porcini, defrosted
1tbsp vegetable bouillon stock
a handful of basmati rice
1 big potato
a dash of single cream (optional, skip for a vegan version)

Start by frying finely chopped onion for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the finely chopped carrot, and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the chopped mushrooms. Season with sea salt.


In a medium sized pan bring water to boil, add the stock and mushroom mix, as well as rice and cubed potatoes. Cook for about 15+ minutes on low, until the potatoes are soft. Add cream.
Serve hot, with a bit of fresh chopped parsley.

vegetarian soup

This is a tasty vegetarian dish. I love mushrooms, and cook all kinds of mushroom soup often enough. This was the first time I've tried cooking soup from frozen porcini mushrooms, and I will definitely buy them again.

easy vegetarian meals

5 comments:

  1. Ooh I had this brand of mushrooms (dried not frozen) in a Polish Kitchen Trotter box, I recognise the packaging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy dried porcini from the Polish shop, less pricey than in supermarkets.

      Delete
  2. oooh this looks lovely. Will have to go and have a look in a polish shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always end up buying more than I planned there. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the brand but the soup looks so yummi. I love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete