Tuesday 30 October 2012

Funny bones gingerbread house collapse

For the umpteenth time in the last month I told myself I should read instructions and follow them, not just try to guess what to do with things to assemble, and that includes a gingerbread house.
I used a pre-made kit from Dr Oetker.
The icing paste from the kit is not good enough to hold the house, it just doesn't, the panels slide sideways.
I used different icing pens for decorations, trying to recreate my older son's favourite characters from Funnybones by Janet & Allan Ahlberg.



After I drew the sides, I realised that the roof panels were supposed to stand as a portrait panel, not a landscape panel, so I had to improvise, as there was a huge gap in the roof. It was closed with a bar of chocolate.



As I transferred the house to the sitting room to take the photo, the panels started sliding slowly.
It was the fall of the house of Asher. The chocolate roof collapsed and broke into two.
I have assembled it back, but it does look quite shattered.
Lesson learnt: read the instructions, make your own gingerbread house panels and thicker icing.

6 comments:

  1. I think it makes a cute little house which will taste delicious. About to find out now if mine will collapse too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely little house and the funny bones are brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you filled the gap with a chocolate bar - that's the kind of thing I would do too! Your decorations are great - you must have a very steady hand! I find icing really difficult to hold panels together, which is why I opted for chocolate, it sets so quick!
    Thanks for linking up your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, looks amazing. We use toothpicks to hold the panels in place when we make ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the suggestions to make it more steady. I am tempted to have another go, for the Christmas-themed gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fantastic. Your icing on it is amazing, love the pictures. Thanks for joining in x

    ReplyDelete