Friday 16 November 2012

Pleasures of foraging: Rosehip tea

Scratch the surface: underneath we're all hunters and gatherers. What can be better than free food which hasn't been sprayed with pesticides and chemicals?! You don't have to go in the woods to get wild food as you can easily encourage it to grow in your garden. Rose hip is a beautiful addition to any garden, it has pretty flowers and beautiful red berries.
When the weather is cold and my guys have runny noses, it means it's a time for vitamin boost.
Out come the dried (or fresh) rosehips.



Rosehip tea is very refreshing and is packed with vitamins and minerals. For a few cups of rosehip tea take a small cup of rosehips, place in a pan with two mugs of freshly boiled water and simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Add a tablespoon of honey.





Rosehips dry very well. Store them in a plastic airtight container for up to a year, you can keep them longer, but they lose their medicinal properties with time.




Strain the tea before serving it. You can eat the rosehips as well, just don't consume the hairy bits.



5 comments:

  1. looks great galina. I just never seem to get the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, but it sounds fun to get in the woods to get some food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right, Chris, it is more fun to forage in the woods, but as I am restricted by the lack of a car, so tend to forage for rosehips, hawthorn and sloes in the meadows on the town outskirts, plus I have my garden stash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?

    There are so many options out there that I'm totally confused .. Any suggestions? Thank you!
    my site: Home Remedies For Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful is this! My mum and I used to go foraging for rosehips, and not make tea, but rosehip syrup with them......happy memories and happy days! Karen

    ReplyDelete