Tuesday 28 May 2013

Colourful lunchbox munchies

Eddie doesn't start the nursery until September but he often watches me making the lunchbox for Sasha, he thinks the food tastes much better if it comes from a lunchbox. What is good for his older brother, must be good for him too, right? I don't always oblige him, but sometimes he gets his lunch served in the plastic containers (I love the Sistema range). To make the food more appealing for little people, you can cut different shapes and add lots of colourful berries and veg.
Eddie loves baby tomatoes and cucumbers (the mini cucumbers are not in season at the moment, but we are growing our own this year), carrot sticks and sweet pepper sticks.

"This month Tots100 has teamed up with Walkers, who have created the new Baked Hoops and Crosses – a low-fat and fun way for kids to boost their wholegrain intake."
So, here is my lunchbox idea: you have fresh veg in abundance, hummus (preferably homemade but a shop-bought variety is a perfect substitute, we love the roast pepper and tomato variety), a butterfly sandwich with caramel and strawberries and a small packet if Walkers wholegrain hoops and crosses. And a handful of raisins coated in yogurt too.



The butterfly sandwich with caramel and strawberries was inspired by my childhood memories. I loved sandwiches with the caramel. Mum used to cook it in a tin placed in a deep pan with water for hours, but it was so worth waiting for, sticky, sweet and absolutely lush. Perfect with some sliced berries or bananas.



To make the butterfly sandwich you will need
2 slices of white bread
2 strawberries
1tsp Carnation caramel (or make your own from a tin of condensed milk)
icing pens
Holding two slices together, cut the butterfly shape, using the kitchen scissors (or a cookie cutter if you have one, I don't have a butterfly-shaped one, hence my butterfly is a bit funny). Put in a toaster for a minute, just to slightly crisp it. Spread 1tsp of caramel on one slice, add the sliced strawberries on top. Top up with the second slice of bread. Using the icing pens, decorate the top. Enjoy!




This is my entry to Tots100 competition #HoopsandCrosses (link removed as expired).

P.S. Since my post was published, I have tried some Hoops and Crosses in beef flavour, and didn't enjoy it, perhaps it is this particular flavour that is not to my liking but I am not eager to try the rest of the flavours. My kids refused to eat it after trying a bit. Rather disappointing snack from Walkers taste-wise. That was a total waste of money for me. The only redeeming feature is that it is wholegrain, but as my kids didn't want to eat these crisps, it's neither here nor there.
I don't think I'll be adding the pack of them to any lunchbox. Just thought you might be interested in an update.


3 comments:

  1. I love these, so colourful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alison! :) Are you taking part in this competition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sandwich, good luck with the comp :)

    ReplyDelete