Tuesday 4 June 2013

Sweet potato cupcakes with yogurt frosting (reduced calorie recipe challenge)


Sweet potato cupcakes with yogurt frosting
Ingredients:
300g sweet potato, cooked and mashed
150g light brown sugar
2 eggs
170g fat free Greek style yogurt (I used Chobani raspberry yoghurt)
30g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
1/2tsp cinnamon
90ml olive oil
icing sugar + plain Chobani fat free yogurt for frosting
freeze-dried strawberries for decoration
raspberries, blueberries (optional)



Cook the sweet potato in water (cut into quarters), once cooked, take it out of the pan, let it cool, then mash with a fork in a big mixing bowl with sugar and cinnamon. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, ground almonds, baking powder, yogurt and mix well, add the flour and olive oil, mix well again.
Pour the cake mixture into the cupcake/muffin paper cases and place the filled cases in the oven preheated to 180C on a tray. Bake for about 25 minutes, check with the wooden skewer that they are cooked through.
Take the cupcakes out and leave to cool.
Make the frosting by mixing the plain Greek style yogurt with the icing sugar (I have used the Chobani plain yoghurt).
Spread over the cupcakes with a spoon. Decorate with the berries of your choice or freeze-dried strawberries.


Typically I bake almost everything with butter and would have used the soured cream frosting. Using the oil and fat free yogurt in the cake batter as well as the fat free yogurt for frosting makes it a calorie reduced option. Plus using the sweet potato, I added less sugar than usual.




Eddie wanted to participate, so I let him mix the cake batter and also fill in some paper cases. I only had cheap muffin paper cases from Waitrose which won't hold anything, even when double-layered, so the cupcakes got rather wide in the middle.
They look funny but taste great. The yogurt in the batter makes them moist and flavourful, the sweet potato adds the sweetness, so that you can use less sugar.



Here is my mini-cook, eating one of the cupcakes while sitting on his haunches, without waiting for the icing to be added. Well, I suppose we had to try it before decorating, didn't we?



Adding my recipe to lovely Verily Victoria Vocalises blog linky #PoCoLo.


Post Comment Love

9 comments:

  1. Eddie has good taste! He is adorable.

    What a great idea using sweet potato - super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Eddie's a cheeky monkey, but he appreciates my cakes and bakes, bless him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these look lush. You've made them look so simple yet me and cupcakes we don't seem to get along too well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look gorgeous! I'm dying to make them for my friend who can't eat wheat!
    (stopped over from PoCoLo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am DEFINITELY making these when we move. Love sweet potato, love yoghurt icing - whats not to love? Thanks for linking to PoCoLo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look lovely, I definitely want to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay - great to know I'm not the only person who bakes with sweet potatoes. These look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete