Thursday 14 November 2013

In love with Verushka

Someone told me, slightly waspishly, in a private conversation that as a blogger I tend to parade my Russian identity. Mea culpa, but that's who I am. I can't suppress it (neither do I want). I love the ethnic elements in fashion design, and was thrilled to see that White Stuff has just released a new Russia-inspired collection called Verushka. It's not often that the Russian style in fashion gets a complimentary following. The Russian fashions are dismissed as too dire and drab, or lacking in taste and glittering like a Christmas tree (reference to the nouveau riche or the new Russians).

Designers of Verushka took the folk elements of the national Russian costumes and transformed them into a modern, stylish and inspired collection.
I spent this morning looking at the clothes from Verushka range in our local White Stuff shop (they didn't have the whole collection) and trying a few outfits.

Girly Ada cardi, available in 5 colours


Biana skirt
Biana skirt is simply beautiful. It is a knee-length skirt with a fab embroidered design of Matreshka (Russian doll). I was very tempted to buy it, as I can easily wear it with a lot of tops I have.

Detail of Biana skirt


Girly Ada cardi
Girly Ada Cardi is very comfy and soft. The hem detail is a reference to the outifts worn by the Cossack women.



Multi-patterned Teapot skirt is a homage to the Southern Russian costumes, with an amusing modern twist. And that Hunter Cardi coat looks splendid too. Sadly they didn't have it in the shop to try on. I would imagine it will look great with any casual outfit.


Busy Lizzie tee
Another colourful patterned top that I loved is a Busy Lizzie tee. It looks so festive and pretty.

Tula tunic
Tula tunic is a printed top, with the paisley design, very popular in Russia in the 19C and later. It has three-quarter sleeves and a cinched waist, trimmed at the hem. Love the front pleated detail. This tunic reminds me of the vintage peasant's smock.


Tula tunic, available in aubergine and Russian red
I liked all the outfits I tried, and could happily wear half of the new Verushka collection. And that's what I bought, Tula tunic with leggins. What do you think? Is it "me"?


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! Thinking of showing this blog post to my DH, maybe he'll get a hint. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love those clothes, especially the Tula tunic and Biana skirt - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I hope I'll get some items during the Christmas sale, if anything is left by then

      Delete
  3. I love that skirt, such a pretty design, it really suits you. p.s I think you should have bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but it's £55, and before Christmas it's not the best time for my budget

      Delete
    2. Maybe Santa will bring it for you then . Hopefully he reads your blog x

      Delete
  4. GORGEOUS clothes! I will have to investigate further...

    And by the way, tell the person who made the Russian comment to B off! Are you supposed to hide it then? Maybe the rest of us 'parade' our British identity, or our vegetarianism, or our roles as mothers?! What a load of tosh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they meant it as a constructive criticism, lol. Maybe I should wear the English hunting gear? Actually I do have an old Barbour padded jacket, so here you are.

      Delete
    2. Actually I think you will also love this scarf http://www.whitestuff.com/russian-doll-scarf-prod407797_russian_rd/

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures!

    www.saucysiciliana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete