Saturday 24 May 2014

Aunt Giuseppina's Ricotta Cake

If we happen to be in Ferrara at Easter or Christmas, staying with my in-laws, Zia Guiseppina always brings her delicious ricotta cake for us. Aunt Giuseppina is a lovely lady and a splendid cook.
During one of my previous visits I have asked a recipe for Ciambella Guiseppina. It is a delicious flavourful cake.

Italian cake recipe


Ricotta cake
Ingredients:
3 eggs
200g ricotta
200g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
300g plain flour
100g butter, melted
zest of 1 clementine or lemon, grated (optional)
1tsp vanilla essence


Beat the eggs with the ricotta cheese and sugar, add baking powder, flour, zest, vanilla essence and melted butter and mix well. I have grated some clementine zest for an extra flavour but this is optional (try a lemon or an orange zest instead).
The cake batter is quite thick. Spoon it carefully in a buttered cake tin. Put the tin in an oven preheated to 180C for 45 minutes. Check with a wooden skewer if it's ready. You might need to lower the temperature and bake it for another 10 minutes, until the skewer comes clean.
Sprinkle some icing sugar on the top.
Eat warm, fresh from the oven, or cold. It's perfect with a cup of latte or strong tea.

Italian cake recipe


Thank you, Aunt Giuseppina, for sharing your recipe!

Aunt Giuseppina serving lasagne (photo's taken about 15 years ago)

Adding this recipe to lovely Chris' linky Bloggers Around the World (theme for May is Italy).



11 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely and delicious cake. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Sometimes simple is the best, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. What a glorious cake and lovely story. It's food stories with family history that I love so much x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous and great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! I love family recipes on blogs.

      Delete
  4. Yum!! Can't wait to make this, looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size cake tin do you use to make sure it's nice and deep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about 18.5cm or 7.28 inches from edge to edge, so I guess it is 18cm inside. The cake tin is fluted, I got it in Lakeland about two years ago. Hope this helps

      Delete
  6. I've been baking this cake for a couple of years now, it is so popular with my friends and there is always someone asking/waiting for me to bake one. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. The best thing for me about this cake is that it cannot be eaten alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for telling me that you enjoy the cake. You made my day! Merry Christmas to you! We love this cake as well, I bake it quite often for my guys.

      Delete