Thursday 23 June 2016

Primrose's Kitchen expands its range

vegan breakfast foods

When I was a child, my Mum used to tell me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. She also liked to repeat that rather tired maxim "Eat your breakfast yourself, share lunch with a friend and give your dinner to your enemy". The recent research concluded that actually breakfast might not be the most important meal of the day. Either way, I don't quite trust much of the modern research regarding eating habits as it often has its own agenda. I don't skip breakfast, as I need "fuel" to keep me going, and I certainly make sure my boys have their breakfast too before school.
These days the range of breakfast cereals is so vast, you might get lost. Which health benefits to believe, which take with a pinch of salt?
I have recently discovered The Primrose's Kitchen range of natural food. The brand is the brainchild of Primrose Matheson who did Naturopathic and Complementary health studies and has a degree in Homeopathy. She used her knowledge to create a range of the natural and wholesome food which includes muesli and granola, nut and seed butter, sprinkles and smoothie boosters.

The Primrose's Kitchen has recently expanded its range of inspired breakfast products by introducing a new flavour of granola as well as organic oats.

Organic Porridge oats are sourced in the UK and have been milled, using centuries-old methods.
As you know, oats are a great breakfast food which keeps you going for the whole morning (well, until the elevenses anyway, when I do enjoy a cup of coffee with a biccie).

vegan breakfast

I like to jazz up a meal of porridge by adding some sliced fruit or berries, and pour a syrup or honey. To make it colourful and pretty, slice a couple of small fresh or dried figs and drizzle a good glug of date syrup. Totally delicious! Of course, if you're virtuous, skip the fruit and syrup and have your porridge plain.
Since I don't follow a vegan diet, I used milk to cook the porridge, but for a vegan option cook it with almond milk or water.

breakfast porridge, health food

I also used these oats as an ingredient for baking oat walnut cookies. The oats gave the cookies a lovely texture and flavour. Oats are my favourite way of adding texture and extra fibre to cookies.


Oatmeal & Chia porridge is another tasty porridge. I wasn't sure if I were going to like it, as it does sounds "too healthy" - chia seeds seem to be promoted by all health gurus as a super food.
I cooked the porridge with milk (and again, use almond milk or water for a vegan version) and topped up with a sliced banana and chopped coconut chunks.
The chia seeds add a little bit of crunch to the creamy porridge. It was a very enjoyable porridge.



Organic Orange & Cashew Granola is a wholesome mix of orange, cashew, sunflower seeds, raisins, coconut pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg and Himalayan salt. All my favourite flavours together, this is a perfect granola for me. It has a delightful aroma and a crunchy texture.

vegan breakfast foods


I rarely have a granola in the morning, but I do love a bit of granola in a simple dessert. Just put a handful of granola inside a glass, top up with coconut yogurt (or Greek style yogurt) and a spoonful of your favourite jam for an amazingly moreish treat. Orange & Cashew granola topped up with coconut yogurt and lingonberry jam is just heavenly.
If you want to try exactly the same recipe, look for a coconut yogurt from The Coconut Collaborative and a Swedish rose hips and lingonberry jam from Felix.
My boys enjoy eating granola as a snack, straight from the packet, and without any milk.

We loved Primrose's Kitchen products, they are bursting with flavour and goodness.

Have you tried any of Primrose's Kitchen products?

Primrose's Kitchen orange * cashew granola

Disclosure: I received a selection of Primrose's Kitchen products for the purposes of testing and reviewing. All opinions are mine.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen these products, must keep my eyes open for them. They look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious. And if you look online, the range is much bigger. I'd love to try their nut and seed butter, haven't seen it in the shops locally.

      Delete