Monday 3 April 2017

Tuna stir fry with exotic mushrooms



We don't always eat fish on Fridays. Whenever I cook fish, my dear husband mumbles "Why do we eat fish so often?" The younger men in my family are as obstinate: Sash would only eat fish pate as in tuna pate sandwiches, Eddie is always looking forward to fish and chips meals at school on Fridays, but apparently I serve the "wrong" kind of fish. Sometimes, I wonder: why do I even bother?
I buy tuna steaks maybe once or twice a month, especially when they are on offer. They are delicious with mushrooms.



Tuna stir fry with exotic mushrooms
Ingredients:
2 Yellowfish tuna steaks
2tbsp black garlic ketchup
2tbsp dark soy sauce
smoked sea salt
1tsp cyder vinegar
5tbsp sesame oil
1 carrot
1tbsp chilli-flavoured oil
200g mixed exotic mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, maitake)
whole wheat noodles

First slice each steak into 3-4 strips. Marinade tuna for at least an hour in a mix of dark soy sauce, black garlic ketchup, smoked sea salt, cyder vinegar and 2tbsp sesame oil. You can substitute black garlic ketchup for a finely chopped clove of garlic.
Peel and slice a carrot. Heat up 1tbsp of sesame oil and fry carrot for about 4-5 minutes, add the tuna and more oil. Cook the fish for about 2 minutes on each side. Add mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve with hot whole wheat noodles.

In this recipe I used Maldon smoked sea salt. I'm very fond of Maldon sea salt, and regularly buy the original variety. I also often make my own flavoured sea salt, by mixing it with all kinds of dried herbs.
Smoked sea salt flakes are gently smoked over oak to add a rich, sophisticated flavour to any dish.
It was part of the latest Degustabox food box, and I was most excited about trying it.
It's an excellent product, which adds a unique smokiness to cooked meals.




2 comments:

  1. LOL It's the same here - the kids like the salmon they do at the school canteen though, with a Laughing Cow sauce (cheese triangles melted in a bit of crème fraîche and poured over the top). I'd much rather eat your tuna though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of salmon with Laughing Cow cheese, this is actually something Eddie would eat. Thank you for the super idea!

      Delete