Sunday 8 April 2018

Lime coconut cake

easy everyday cake


Today is my Mum's birthday, and also the Russian Easter, two good causes to celebrate with a cake. And while my Mum is thousands miles away from me and cannot sample my cake, I'm sending her big warm hugs across the sea and land. I so wish I could hug her in person, but it's quite impossible right now. Sigh.
I wanted to bake something not too heavy, without lots of frosting or decorations.
Having a good look around what I had in the kitchen, I got two limes (left from a week before, when I bought limes for Easter), a bag of dessicated coconut, a half-full bag of ground almonds...
There is a lovely recipe for Lemon, lime and poppy seed cake in DK Everyday Easy Cakes & cupcakes book. I didn't have any poppy seeds, they would have been nice, and I must try that recipe one day.
Dancing off the book recipe as a rough guide, I started mixing, adding some extra ingredients like coconut and ground almonds, and reducing the amount of sugar a bit.

easy everyday cake


Lime coconut cake
Ingredients:
3 medium eggs
165g caster sugar
zest of 2 limes
2tbsp lime juice
170g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
30g ground almonds
40g dessicated coconut
180g butter, melted
for the icing
60g icing sugar
3tsp lime juice



In a big mixing bowl beat together eggs and sugar with lime zest. Add the lime juice, sift in flour and baking powder, mix well. Add the ground almonds and coconut, as well as melted butter. Mix everything well to thick smooth consistency.
Pour the cake batter into a spring cake tin, lined with parchment and lightly oiled at the bottom and sides. Place the cake tin in the oven preheated to 180C. Bake for about 40+ minutes.
Check readiness with a wooden toothpick.
Mix the icing sugar with lime juice for a rather runny icing and spread over the cake while still warm. Decorate with little jellies (optional).

what to do with limes, baking with limes

I think next time I'll add more lime juice for an extra zingy flavour. It is a lovely delicious cake, and it won't last long (my guys have already demolished a half of it).




Adding this post to this week's #CookBlogShare linky at EasyPeasyFoodie blog.


8 comments:

  1. Hmm zingy lime and coconut, a match made in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! It's definitely a lovely combo.

      Delete
  2. Oooh yum! That lime coconut combination is always a winner. I didn't know Russian Easter was a different day to our Easter. Interesting. You learn something new every day! Thanks for linking your delicious cake up to #CookBlogShare. Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the Russian Easter is celebrated according to the Julian calendar.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely looking cake. Hope you get to see your mum soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison, the situation between our countries is very tense right now, I imagine they will be difficult with visas and such.

      Delete
  4. Yum, this looks delicious! A belated Happy Easter and happy birthday to your mum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leta! It was a tasty cake. I must bake it again.

      Delete